Can I trap and relocate aggressive bears? in Vermont | Black bear

Can I trap and relocate aggressive bears?

  • It is only legal for trained, experienced professionals to trap, immobilize, and relocate bears.

    • The process is expensive, time-consuming, and can be dangerous if done improperly.

    • Relocation typically involves communication across several agencies. Bears usually are relocated 50-100 miles from the capture site to try to prevent their return

  • Call your local wildlife department with questions or concerns about aggressive bears.

  • Report any bear injuries to humans, pets, or livestock. If you or a pet are scratched or bitten by a bear, call your doctor or veterinarian immediately.

Laws and regulations to be aware of

Regulations for Vermont

Possession of Wildlife

It is illegal to possess living, wild animals in Vermont. A furbearing animal can only be possessed when moving the animal to a more appropriate place for dispatch.

While we attempt to provide guidance about state and federal regulations pertaining to specific species and control techniques, we do not provide information about local jurisdictions (city, town, county, etc.) where regulations may be more restrictive, especially as it applies to discharge of firearms, transport of animals or use of trapping equipment. Contact your local city or county government to inquire further. No guarantee is made that information (or lack of information) associated with a species or control technique is completely accurate or current. You should become familiar with federal, state and local laws before beginning any wildlife control activities.

Was this solution helpful?

Yes No